Gosford, Australia
CK wrote:

Another thing thats kind of annoying with FLS is that when you load a project it doesn't draw all the waveforms, you have to manually scroll through the project, look at all the waveforms, FLS stumbles a little and then after thats all buffered, then the track will playback without stuttering.

been using FL since 2002, never had this problem. like if i load a project i can see all the waveforms in the playlist and the track will play without underruns from the get go.

it's worth checking the image-line forums for a solution, or posting about this issue if there isn't one. the knowledge base of that community regarding FL's inner workings is almost frightening smile

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I started out with an AtariST and a program, called "Happy Music" which was developed by steinberg. later I used Cubase. tried a couple of alternatives inbetween, like cakewalk, sonar, live and logic but I've always felt most comfortable with cubase. I know it's a little complex at times. but for me it's the environment that allows me to work most intuitively. I think there are no good or bad DAW's. what matters what you do with the tools you have.

Melbourne, Aus

Ableton is my daw of choice. I used FL studio for 7 years prior and still think FL is 'superior' in electronic music but Ableton works intuitively with actual instruments and electronics. Also the capability for live performance is awesome.

St Louis

am seeing myself using Reaper more and more

Melbourne

I'm a tracker kinda guy. Started with FT2 back in 1996, moved on to Buzz in 2001ish and then Renoise in 2012, alongside Reaper which I've been using for multitrack recording since 2007 or so. For WB however, I'm hoping to not use Renoise much at all, just because I want to challenge myself. It's getting too easy to just grab some sounds from Amiga sampledisks and compose a typical Pselodux tune—I want to do more live playing and multitracking!

BEHIND YOU, CA

Reaper stole my heart. It's just as powerful as most DAWs and free to boot!

Finland

Can't beat Logic when recording and comping audio. The Comp feature that came in few years ago have been lifesaver for me. Ableton Live for jamming and live gigs. Waiting Bitwig to come out. It seems that they have updated all Live's core features that Ableton have seem to forgotten.

I used FL when it was still just a simple beatmachine. It has evolved quite a lot since.

adelaide

Ableton Live with Max for Live and Max. Really flexible (for what it is) yet very quick and easy to work with.

Melbourne, Australia

At the moment,
Renoise to draft up ideas, and trigger samples and slices very quickly....
But everything I do still seems to find it's way in Live for the mastering phase of my workflow...

I've been on the hunt to find the 'perfect DAW' and wasted too much time looking for it...
However, I hear BITWIG will be announcing their prices/dates at NAMM later this month!

So I will definitely be investigating it as another option to explore...

Melbourne, Australia

In case anyone missed it. and is remotely interested.
Bitwig announced: You'll need $399USD/€299EUR and you can have it on 26 March
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/nam … ced-591902

cool, as you were.

(tho, i'm pretty comfortable with live at the moment) (this will be a fun year to explore)

Stockholm
Aday wrote:

In case anyone missed it. and is remotely interested.
Bitwig announced: You'll need $399USD/€299EUR and you can have it on 26 March
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/nam … ced-591902

cool, as you were.

(tho, i'm pretty comfortable with live at the moment) (this will be a fun year to explore)

Hmm. Noticed that too, have promised myself to investigate. Not that I really feel the need. I try and avoid my computer as much as possible, which basically means doing almost everything on the OP-1. But when I have to I use Logic, and now puredata all the more. Audiomulch is still a favourite, at least until I get around to building something as fully featured as the granulator and the nebulizer fx in it (in puredata that is).

Always on the lookout for cool new stuff though.

chicago, il, usa

I love FLStudio. I also really like the free upgrades for life, once you've purchase it.

Though I have a collab project that now starts off in Ableton, and I can see the power it has with midi routing, clips and effects racks. I hope at some point during the year to make and post some wb tracks all done in Ableton. Though I'm still pretty comfortable with all the FL keyboard shortcuts and automation clips and just throwing anything onto the playlist to stretch or chop up.

Vegas

I use FL, love it. Interested in Bitwig as I really like how Ableton works with controllers. I want to be able to just make stuff with my MPK 61.

I wouldn't recommend buying a software right on release though, there will probably be bugs that will need to be sorted out.

Melbourne, Australia
Eraserhead! wrote:

I use FL, love it. Interested in Bitwig as I really like how Ableton works with controllers. I want to be able to just make stuff with my MPK 61.

I wouldn't recommend buying a software right on release though, there will probably be bugs that will need to be sorted out.

Good call,
300>$ is a HUGE amount for one version of software, -- And I suspect several items may be missing from the initial release. (LAN Jamming for example)

Least with Renoise (80$) you get an entire release cycle 3.x to 4.x or in this case from when you purchased.

Hopefully Bitwig do something similar
Or Perhaps they will release trialware -- can live with that

Vegas

Ye.

Also it's important to consider how long it will take you learn the software.

Looks great though, may jump on during version 1 if it can do live looping (like a looping pedal)

Melbourne, Australia

To be fair, BitWig has been in private beta for about two years now. I reckon the initial release will be pretty solid.