NSW

Personally, pumping out a creative work a week, and regardless it's breadth, size or depth, is rather difficult. neutral

It might be all about "getting to the page," but by gad there are some Sunday nights when the challenge of WeeklyBeats feels like mere self-flagellation and therefore NOT WORTH IT!!

And so, following a brief conversation with LS this morning, I thought I would propose the concept of creating a track (during either the coming or a future week)  in no more than 45-minutes. Materials, tools, concept etc. can be decided upon in advance but ultimately the contributor has exactly 45-minutes in which to compose, edit and produce the work; no more, no less.

Unless the interested are able to convene in the same space on any given day to undertake the proposed concept, exactly how this exercise would be monitored is beyond me... all thoughts, queries, rebuttals etc. appreciated.

I heart/hate WBs. :: )

The future

hmm.. dunno.. good stuff can come out of limitations like that, but im pretty sure thats not what wb is about..   ill do a 45 min race track if anyone else is in, but i'd really rather not.

Melbourne, Australia

I would be interested, potentially. My week 21 was composed, but not produced, in about 55 minutes. Total time was about 1:20 including polishing the sound in Logic a little. I think 45 minutes is a fair goal.

NSW
Phil Harmonic wrote:

hmm.. dunno.. good stuff can come out of limitations like that, but im pretty sure thats not what wb is about..   ill do a 45 min race track if anyone else is in, but i'd really rather not.

Oh? What is WeeklyBeats about then, Phil?

P.S. You're in no way obligated to participate.

Last edited by popsicle (May 28, 2012 5:33 am)

NSW
vinpous wrote:

I would be interested, potentially. My week 21 was composed, but not produced, in about 55 minutes. Total time was about 1:20 including polishing the sound in Logic a little. I think 45 minutes is a fair goal.

I was initially thinking 25-minutes...45 was a number chosen at random.

Adelaide SA

sounds like so much fun!

Melbourne, Australia
Poppi wrote:
vinpous wrote:

I was initially thinking 25-minutes...45 was a number chosen at random.

25 minutes is achievable, but would be much much harder than 45. I do like the idea though.

adelaide

I'm into 45 minutes. Let's do this.

I'll do it in 45 seconds!

Haha not really. I'll consider this, but i'm not that talented yet to go for it and i'll prob end up cheating or something., which is totally wrong and everything.

The future
Poppi wrote:
Phil Harmonic wrote:

Oh? What is WeeklyBeats about then, Phil?

P.S. You're in no way obligated to participate.

Well. ok. maybe it does fit within the limitations of weeklybeats, but it seems to me that weekly beats already has a time limitation. Changing the limitation to 45 minutes makes it not weeklybeats but rather 45minutebeats. Anyways, the concept reminds me of the compos that we used to have on #trax all the time. I think the shortest one I ever took part in was an hour. As for my obligation, well, yeah I know, I am not obligated to do any of this stuff. My comment was not meant to be any kind of stab at you or your idea, it just seemed like the idea didnt fit with weeklybeats. It is my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Adelaide SA

Phil Harmonic, isn't this a thing to try out for one (/few) weeks? could be fun?

also, I dunno if I should mention thie (ie, relevance blah) but weeklybeats, and having a bunch of -some anonymous- people participating in the same thing has made me try new things/ideas i would have discarded otherwise. the results could be fascinating. or the potential lack of AWESOME (?) music could be a cool thing to look into...ie, seeing how far is too far to push the limits...

anyway, I think my rambles make sense?

adelaide

Good point.

Each week we subtract 5 minutes from the 45 minutes.

adelaide

I'm going to screencast mine.

The future

yeah. im not saying that there isnt anything to be gained by a 45 minute limitation.. just dont know if weeklybeats is the place to do it. you could have 244 such compositions in a week if you were doing it outside of weeklybeats wink  (and if you never slept or did anything else)

NSW
little-scale wrote:

Good point.

Each week we subtract 5 minutes from the 45 minutes.

Sounds like a plan, 'Scale.

NSW
Phil Harmonic wrote:

Well. ok. maybe it does fit within the limitations of weeklybeats, but it seems to me that weekly beats already has a time limitation. Changing the limitation to 45 minutes makes it not weeklybeats but rather 45minutebeats.

10080 minutes in 1 week == the amount of allotted time in which to create a WBs track, from production to post-production and upload.

My suggestion is the realisation of a WB track within a set timeframe of 45-minutes. That leaves a remaining 10035 minutes in the allotted timeframe of 1 week to do whatever else one does prior to the writing, editing, production and upload phases of their work – for example: sourcing of sounds/samples, creation of virtual synths/synth modules, selection and set up of instruments and/or recording environment, w*nking off, etc.

In any event, I was neither claiming originality nor that the concept was fully formed (and therefore designed to withstand armageddon), it's a suggestion.

big_smile

Last edited by popsicle (May 28, 2012 10:51 am)