I noticed some things I thought could be better. I guess this could be a general thread for such ideas; quick fixes or things that could be considered for the next iteration of weeklybeats.

As for my ideas, how about adding some sort of key to the songs in the song list that marks them as having been listened to and/or commented on (by yourself)? Maybe even three color keys for listened to/commented on/listened to, but not commented on.

Also I guess this could be a bug report (I'm not sure how the player is supposed to behave): Sometimes when playing through the song list, the queue randomly jumps a few songs back or forth instead of just going to the next song. I wouldn't mind this, but when keeping track of what you've listened it's quite an annoyance. I am using google chrome, if that is relevant.

AU
boomlinde wrote:

listened to and/or commented on (by yourself)? Maybe even three color keys for listened to/commented on/listened to

Yeah - this would be handy!  I still don't know if I've listened to everyones tune.  I'm pretty sure I have though because it's been 6 1/2 hours of listening.

Other than this I've gotta say the site is really functional.

Western Australia

I'd like the ability to follow certain musicians. Unless you can do that already and I'm just not aware of it.

Madison, Alabama
cTrix wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

listened to and/or commented on (by yourself)? Maybe even three color keys for listened to/commented on/listened to

Yeah - this would be handy!  I still don't know if I've listened to everyones tune.  I'm pretty sure I have though because it's been 6 1/2 hours of listening.

Other than this I've gotta say the site is really functional.

Something to indicate whether I've listened or not would be great.  I'm trying to listen to everything, but every time I navigate away from the page for a moment it seems like the order of the songs changes for some reason, making it hard to keep track.

Los Angeles

I agree on the listens, the problem is I'd have to attach it to the mp3 player as well as the item page. It is possible, just a bit more time to do it.

As far as comments and artists, you can already- Use the "Filter" dropdown on the music page.

Los Angeles

Also note it didn't seem that hard to follow before there was over 100 submissions! Wasn't expecting such a turn out. smile

Los Angeles
boomlinde wrote:

As for my ideas, how about adding some sort of key to the songs in the song list that marks them as having been listened to and/or commented on (by yourself)? Maybe even three color keys for listened to/commented on/listened to, but not commented on.

So there is a dropdown to the right of the search bar. You can selected "commented on" etc. I just added in "haven't viewed" and at the moment it doesn't count if you've heard the track in the mp3 player. I'm also going to add a:visited colors to the page, but I have a feeling that is not going to work.

boomlinde wrote:

Also I guess this could be a bug report (I'm not sure how the player is supposed to behave): Sometimes when playing through the song list, the queue randomly jumps a few songs back or forth instead of just going to the next song. I wouldn't mind this, but when keeping track of what you've listened it's quite an annoyance. I am using google chrome, if that is relevant.

If the music player was launched, and the page was changed to a different area, and then you nav'd back to the music area, the music area's default sort may have changed. You can avoid this behavior by clicking on title, or date, or # comments in the headings of the list so that the sorting is the same when you nav back to the page. The mp3 player's playlist will match whatever the music page's list was when you clicked a play button icon.

Los Angeles

Edit: the player is now setup to mark if you've listened to the item. The database entries have been copied from the music item views so it will probably be a little off this week. Use the filter drop down to select items you've not listened to, or viewed, or or or

BTW: You'll have to refresh the site if you have not done so in awhile for this to work.

Philadelphia

Something I've noticed is that the "new posts" link doesn't seem to work as well as it does on cm.o, a lot of the time it will even bring me to the beginning of a multi page thread that i've read part of before.

Also notifications don't seem to go away right away after being dealt with or clicked or whatever.

Oh great, that was quick, trash80!

Adelaide, Australia

What is the relevance of the 'date' sort order?

Is it possible to for the artist to see who has added their track to favourite (or at least a running total)?

Last edited by Thursdaybloom (January 13, 2012 11:18 pm)

Cincinnati, Ohio

so im just throwing this out there, but what if it were the case that all first week musicians music got put into "week 1" and for each week that you put in an additional song you would advance a week for your "week 2" song and so on.  once you reach 52 weeks you get inducted into the site hall of fame or something.  if that were the case, the website could keep going on after 2012 with it still be fully open to all new participants to complete the 52 week challenge.  this way if the site picks up a lot of popularity later on in the year (which im thinking it just might if things keep being this awesome..) it will allow the people who started at the beginning to maintain their original timeline while still allowing new people to enter and get the full experience.  that being said, i dont know how hard that would be to do, or if other people doing this would be interested in this sort of thing, but i figured itd be worth sharing.

AU

"personal challenge" aside, I'm down with that :-)

"Music you've commented on" filter brakes the "tag:week 2 2012" filter. tag filter garbages to "tag%3Aweek 2 2012" and the list shows all the music. only changing tag part of url manually works.

UPDATE:
* navigate to any track from week 2
* click "week 2 2012" tag
* from the search filters reselect "None"
* BOOM! ALL YOUR BASE ARE NOW BELONG TO US!!

Last edited by fuxter (January 16, 2012 10:38 am)

Bloomington, IN

Oh, now I finally see the RSS, Twitter, and Facebook icons.  Those things are dark!

Los Angeles
fuxter wrote:

"Music you've commented on" filter brakes the "tag:week 2 2012" filter. tag filter garbages to "tag%3Aweek 2 2012" and the list shows all the music. only changing tag part of url manually works.

UPDATE:
* navigate to any track from week 2
* click "week 2 2012" tag
* from the search filters reselect "None"
* BOOM! ALL YOUR BASE ARE NOW BELONG TO US!!

This bug is fixed now smile