AU

I know of at least 2 other people who had "first week luck"!!  I'm curious if anyone else ran into problems of the "facepalm" kind on this first week??

For instance, I put the whole of today aside to finish my tune YET I actually spent most of today wiggling a old EMS cart around trying to get it to bloody read in any gameboy!   

Cart has been working fine for weeks and today it just died (displaying "NINTEND-" with the O missing) Cleaned contacts on both sides, and then found that it randomly worked in an old clear gameboy that is in the worst condition and not modded in any way... but it ONLY worked on that one device and none of the 6 other gameboys.  I had to finish the tune with a camping light strapped to my head shining on the display so I could see it... = ended up a frustrating day where normally I would have given up and just ordered a new cart.  As far as it's effect on the tune - it was mainly sequencing a second bridge in the middle and working on a better ending last 8 bars which I ran out of time for.   And the recording is just raw headphone socket.

So while I'm 95% happy with the tune this has highlighted to me the challenge of submitting a track "NO MATTER WHAT"... because I wouldn't have uploaded it in it's current form if it wasn't for the deadline!!

Last edited by cTrix (January 8, 2012 3:10 pm)

Gosford, Australia

I just rushed out some silly synthpop ditty and it turned out okay I guess!

Austria

i started on Monday organizing my .sav file to get mor space for this project and for writing my ep. But it turned out pretty well, some song pitching today and it was done ^^ it not "OMG ITS SOW GOOD" but i think it turned out pretty well ^^

Sydney, Australia

Bwahahahahahahaha...

I'm seriously out of practice, not to mention leaving things to the last minute (as usual!) and experimenting with LMMS on a netbook... THE CRASHING!!!!!!

I'm relatively happy with my piece, considering that I haven't composed for a very long time. Nice and noisy. Needs a bit more separation between tracks, and probably a bit more noise, but I can live with it.

Now to wait for the other half's laptop to free up so I don't interrupt the Community marathon XD

Riverside, CA

I feel like mine was "finished" but I could have extended it if I had more time.

Brisbane, Australia

I had three ideas which I turned into one good track and then I got sidetracked after I found some killer string samples, so basically I'm still screwing around with it until the last minute trying to make it all sound cohesive. It certainly has been fun writing it though!

Mine was finished as far as it went but needed polish for sure.

NSW

I have unresolvable hardware AND software issues, so that's me out (I think the universe is trying to tell me something...).

Last edited by popsicle (January 9, 2012 3:16 pm)

I can always resort to acid, and so I did this week.

AU
Mr Gray wrote:

I had three ideas which I turned into one good track and then I got sidetracked after I found some killer string samples....

Tell me about it!  A thing that's boggling my brain is having to come back to a track I've started within the same week often when I'm in a completely different head-space.  I hardly ever do that.  You can hear my tune take a dramatic change in vibe and style for whole sections.  You can only start so many tunes before having to commit to one and finish it.

AU
Poppi wrote:

I have unsolvable hardware AND software issues, so that's me out (I think the universe is trying to tell me something...).

Oh no!  What happened?  Surely you could use a built in mic or even do something acoustic on a basic recorder or something?  Hope you get something though... I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with :-]

Tacoma WA

i played around with an idea in my modular. 
AD envelope generators triggering each other and modulating the rise and fall of each other.  one EG was sending a trigger to a resonant filter to ping it with a 3 was modulating the filter frequency.  also triggering a drum sound then a bunch of delay and some metasonix assblaster action..

Chicago

mine went great! wrote it on monday night and have been editing off and on. got the vocals recorded and just now mastered (ish. 'master' implies skill lol) a version I'm happy with. Super stoked to share with everyone.
Sorry to hear about other's problems with submitting sad

UTAH
cTrix wrote:

So while I'm 95% happy with the tune this has highlighted to me the challenge of submitting a track "NO MATTER WHAT"... because I wouldn't have uploaded it in it's current form if it wasn't for the deadline!!

I very much agree with you.  I tend to stipulate intense quality control on what I share, online or not, so I'm a little embarrassed.  But I guess we get it done no matter what!  Should at least make for a dramatic change comparing this one to my last track.

Liverpool, United Kingdom

I've ended up using an Octatrack and samples from a challenge on the monome forums to make the first track (slightly fitting as I belonged to the chip forums and the elektron forums to bring in another I've frequented for the track).

I've gone in a completely different direction to a normal track by me and created loops on the OT and recorded them into ableton for sequencing and filtering bits and such. Gonna just check to see if I'm happy enough and then render and upload.

Geneva, NY

I got a new guitar and it shit out a song as soon as I started playing it. The facepalm didn't come until I had to wrestle with the piggy to sync up guitar and vocals to its backing track.