NSW
Sphax wrote:

if I used THOSE samples it's because there was a reason, not because it was of good quality (or as you said to choose it because it was free), but because there was a meaning of why I used them, because even if it's taken from a masterpiece (which is only available from the business industry) it's also a part of me (I think), as it is what I am and what I like and that's why I want to share it and rework it!!)

I agree that the admins. shouldn't have to deal with "our" oversights, but since my hint at a registration cut-off point and the crap that followed, have felt the WB's rule system in general a little spurious.

I heart WeeklyBeats .. I also agree very much with what you have written above.

Last edited by popsicle (February 8, 2012 11:23 am)

Adelaide, Australia

It's all very good to have an emotional attachment to a sample and needing to put it in a person creation such as music. If this is the case for anyone then perhaps just upload it to your own website and not this one. Don't stop making the music you want and the way you want to, just appreciate that this website has submission rules. Put your song on your website instead of this one. Chuck it on SoundCloud and link it to us in the forums, just dont submit it as an entry to Weekly Beats. Having a personal meaning attached to a sample isn't a trump card to bypass the rules. The rules have always been clearly stated so it is a choice to break those rules should you upload a song containing copyrighted samples. People may feel they have the right to use a copyrighted sample based on the meaning it bestows (and more power to them) but they don't have the right to feel cheated or hard done by should their submission be removed for breaking the rules; rules they chose to break.

tl;dr - It's such an easy rule to follow. If you need to put a copyrighted sample in your song then go for it, just don't use it as your Weekly Beats submission.

NSW
Thursdaybloom wrote:

It's all very good to have an emotional attachment to a sample and needing to put it in a person creation such as music. If this is the case for anyone then perhaps just upload it to your own website and not this one. Don't stop making the music you want and the way you want to, just appreciate that this website has submission rules. Put your song on your website instead of this one. Chuck it on SoundCloud and link it to us in the forums, just dont submit it as an entry to Weekly Beats. Having a personal meaning attached to a sample isn't a trump card to bypass the rules. The rules have always been clearly stated so it is a choice to break those rules should you upload a song containing copyrighted samples. People may feel they have the right to use a copyrighted sample based on the meaning it bestows (and more power to them) but they don't have the right to feel cheated or hard done by should their submission be removed for breaking the rules; rules they chose to break.

tl;dr - It's such an easy rule to follow. If you need to put a copyrighted sample in your song then go for it, just don't use it as your Weekly Beats submission.

Sheesh. So much telling off. I'm beginning to feel like I'm back in primary school (which I did everything to avoid, BTW). hmm

WHERE IS THE LOVE?

Paris

I think you misunderstood my answer! I was giving a response to Little Scale and ThursdayBloom who said they used their own sample or free samples!
And I explained that it was not the same thing at all!

I understand that there are rules imposed and of course i'll be careful in my future upload (as i said at the end of my post)

Chicago
WeeklyBeats wrote:

2 - The track has been uploaded or made available before the week in question.

So does this mean if it's uploaded before all the tracks for the week are released, OR if it's uploaded somewhere before the LAST week's tracks are released?

like, i finished a song this week, kind of want to upload it, but i don't want it to get taken down if i do.

New York City
Sphax wrote:

if I used THOSE samples it's because there was a reason

Well in all honesty, if it gets taken down of Weeklybeats, what gives? You still made the track and you can do whatever else you want with it smile Just if you do it again and again you'd be banned and that's not nice, so perhaps as Lazerbeat said, Weeklybeats is not the project you are looking for.

Last edited by akira (May 20, 2012 9:54 pm)

Gosford, Australia
Saskrotch wrote:
WeeklyBeats wrote:

2 - The track has been uploaded or made available before the week in question.

So does this mean if it's uploaded before all the tracks for the week are released, OR if it's uploaded somewhere before the LAST week's tracks are released?

pretty sure it means the latter. it would be way too stringent if it were the former, imo.

Nijmegen / Netherlands

For this week I've uploaded something completely made out of my own material, but am thinking of working on a breakbeat heavy track for next week. Would such a track be deleted because it features sampled elements? Probably have to read the guidelines again for the stance on using samples smile .

Finland
Djeroek wrote:

For this week I've uploaded something completely made out of my own material, but am thinking of working on a breakbeat heavy track for next week. Would such a track be deleted because it features sampled elements? Probably have to read the guidelines again for the stance on using samples smile .

I’m pretty sure there have been plenty of tracks in WB over the years that have used Amen or other well known break. None of those sample have been cleared.

How about this: One use Roland JV-1080 soundmodule that has the original Hip Hop expansion Card installed. Can that track be uploaded to WB? Joke here is that Roland didn’t clear all samples in that expansion Card and it was pulled of the market. Yet plenty of people still use it.

It’s easy to state that all non-cleared samples are banned, but there is a grey area.