due to school requirements and other family stuff, you may have noticed that i have been churning out garbage.

Well, i hate to duck out, but I dont think ill really have the time this semester to really put anything good out. Ill upload one here and there, but sadly i wont be able to do the weekly thing at this time.

heart

Chicago

Any practice is good practice, but I totally understand the time crunch thing. sad FWIW I thought your tracks so far have been quite listenable. Last weeks was sort of raw and chaotic in a good way. Like the downtempo feel of "tab over". I just didn't comment because I listen while working lose too much time leaving feedback on every song. sad Sucks because most of what I hear on hear deserves good feedback.

rochester ny

who cares if it's "good"? that's subjective! if you're having fun doing the challenge, i'd keep doing it. i know there will be weeks (this week certainly included) where i am not proud of my output. but i did it anyway, and i feel personal pride.

hope you choose to keep up with it!

Melbourne, Australia
preciouskindred wrote:

who cares if it's "good"? that's subjective! if you're having fun doing the challenge, i'd keep doing it. i know there will be weeks (this week certainly included) where i am not proud of my output. but i did it anyway, and i feel personal pride.

hope you choose to keep up with it!

I agree with @preciouskindred, sometimes 'music' just doesn't flow though me as much as I would like and I struggle to find an idea that translates -- but I still want to mess around with synths or odd-FX-chains or whatever (my tiny apartment's surrounded by hardware! I can't waste it - life gets stupid busy)

Some weeks might not be as great a tune but from a personal stand point it's proven to my self that I pulled though (Tho, I've pulled a few last minute tracks already (or worse, throw away tracks!) -- and it's a habit I need to break)

Weeklybeats has helped me reflect the following
- Where I stand technically
- What I'm capable of
- What I'm potentially capable of.
- Try and break though some personal barriers
>> It's also a good way to kind of give your self an indication of what you were sounding like at that time. /an epoch/timecapsule!!/

I've probably only generated 5 or 6 'tracks' i'm _proud_ of, the rest are definitely nothing special.
I'm looking forward to seeing where it leads with so many weeks to go this year.

As a personal rule I'll upload anything i deem 'good' onto my soundcloud.

But I generally use weeklybeats to gauge my self. sometimes it get's a comment too smile (of which I thank you all -- I intend to comment more on everyone else's tracks a bit more too - probably need to stop listening to death metal and watching the same episodes of star trek and listen to more weeklybeats :\ )

Hope @phesago that you find the inspiration to pull though and you can get what you can out of it if you want to keep going - Your tracks so far have a cool texture to them -- and the glitchy-synthy-hip-hop-hop fx-chaining etc is cool in it's self.

Is time truly our enemy?? - Can we make friends with time?

The future

Ireland
Aday wrote:

Weeklybeats has helped me reflect the following
- Where I stand technically
- What I'm capable of
- What I'm potentially capable of.
- Try and break though some personal barriers
>> It's also a good way to kind of give your self an indication of what you were sounding like at that time. /an epoch/timecapsule!!/

This is a terrific post - some very wise words here. Doing any kind of personal reflection, such as keeping a journal or making music, is bound to expose our own patterns of thought and our beliefs about ourselves. Sometimes these will be positive and empowering (wow, I actually massed to come up with an entirely new piece in a matter of hours!), other times they might be negative or disarming (I can't keep up with other people, I don't think my style is original, etc.)

True or not, and the negative blurts are most often very false indeed, the creative process brings these ideas that we have collected about ourselves to the surface. The problem is that we can let them take over, identify with them and let them drag us down. But the most important thing to be aware of is your own creative potential - treat it with care and honour, observe the doubts and insecurities jumping for your attention and then...here's the crucial (and easy!) bit...just keep creating. Don't think, don't analyse or worry, just counter those feelings with action. Make something, tiny or whatever, just do it! You'll feel better and prove your worries wrong every...single...time

I've found this past ten weeks a rather trying journey at times, wondering if I can keep up, if I'm dreaming too big, able to make something new every time, if I'll be able to endure the self-shaming that will occur if I miss a week or drop out...it's quite an emotional thing, exposing and challenging your creative process like this, so it's bound to bring up feelings like this.

But all is well, your creative voice is always a unique part of you (even if you tried your utmost to copy another musician, it will always have your own personal stamp on it) and we are all full of ideas and potential, regardless of whether or not our current life-situation makes it easy for us to make a tune any given week. Enjoy your creativity and avoid anything that makes you doubt it! Take a break if you need to, this is all just a game smile

WOw

You guys are awesome

But the real culprit in my scenario is actually time. I am doubling up on classes to graduate early, learning sql and java(for work) and then family. I get very limited time
To music, which sucks. sad

Last edited by phesago (March 20, 2014 1:01 am)

Melbourne, Australia

well, least you managed to do every week in 2012 wink

http://weeklybeats.com/#/phesago?p=1&am … amp;o=date
http://weeklybeats.com/forums/post/86660/#p86660

Good luck dude !

OX4 1XH

Hi Guys,

I have had to duck out for some schoolwork as well but I'm back now to make it more regular.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the latest song i made "..of the night" Please check it out.

I'll be sure to leave some creative feedback to anyone commenting as well.

Thank you and good beatmaking to you all!!!

Last edited by Cut me in shark (March 25, 2014 9:30 am)