Melbourne, Australia
Jim Wood wrote:
vinpous wrote:

Unless you work with words, music is incapable of transmitting a message or meaning.

Tell that to Volkov.

Sure, what's his or her email address/phone number? And who shall I tell referred me his/her way?

Melbourne, Australia
Devieus wrote:
Etheross wrote:

But it can convey emotion, and that might be meaning enough.

It can generate emotion, but not necessarily the one the artist intended; certain linkin park songs make me happy because the sounds are nice, even if the lyrics are almost always depressing emo shit.

This is it precisely. It can stimulate feelings in receivers, but not necessarily the same feeling in ALL receivers nor what the artist was attempting to portray. Words assist this, as words are a far more communicative.

France
vinpous wrote:
Devieus wrote:

It can generate emotion, but not necessarily the one the artist intended; certain linkin park songs make me happy because the sounds are nice, even if the lyrics are almost always depressing emo shit.

This is it precisely. It can stimulate feelings in receivers, but not necessarily the same feeling in ALL receivers nor what the artist was attempting to portray. Words assist this, as words are a far more communicative.

Yet the use of words offers no guarantee. I like to think that sometimes (as in "extremely rarely" - depending on emitter/recipient) music is more accurate. smile

Melbourne, Australia

Indeed not, no guarantee at all. But additional signifiers can help.

Then again, it might be a fool's errand to try to find or create meaning.

Last edited by Etheross (February 14, 2014 1:40 pm)

France
Etheross wrote:

Then again, it might be a fool's errand to try to find or create meaning.

Well it seems we are hard-wired to find meaning. IMO the fool's errand is rather to believe that the meaning you created gets across (especially with music). There's an emitter and a recipient but finding meaning is a creative process, it's not just about receiving.

Santa Fe, NM
vinpous wrote:
Jim Wood wrote:

Tell that to Volkov.

Sure, what's his or her email address/phone number? And who shall I tell referred me his/her way?

Author of the highly-suspect "Testimony."

Melbourne, Australia
Jim Wood wrote:
vinpous wrote:

Author of the highly-suspect "Testimony."

I'll shoot him an email tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be pleased. tongue