Austin, TX

13/8... h-h-here i go!

MJP
checkTHISprivilege wrote:

13/8... h-h-here i go!

You can do it! It's easier than you think! wink

https://matthewjosephpayne.bandcamp.com/track/dead-hand

Melbourne

I've actually had a 13/8 rhythm in my head for the last few days. Can't wait to get it down!

Los Angeles

You guys have a standard tag style for your themed tracks? Should be something to do so that way it's easy to find them.. Something simple like: weekly-theme or theme-week# or just the name of the week's theme (though could get confusing with slashes etc)

Good idea! "theme-week05" sounds great

Tacoma WA

oh this sounds fun.

i'll go with no time i guess

Osasco - São Paulo - Brazil
Lyons wrote:

Everybody must yodel.

smile

no way, 4/4 techno is my plan for this year smile

St Louis

14/13 inverting into 13/14 is what youll hear from me. surprisingly not as off kilter as id expected.

Melbourne, Australia

What's the notated form of a 13th (or 14th) note? Just out of curiosity.

St Louis

not sure

Melbourne, Australia

It seems like it would be a form of compound time (say, 13/8) but you have an irrational tuplet as the bottom number. 13/13:8, for instance. But then you'd just be better of writing 13/8 and employing the irrational tuplets.

Interesting.

MJP

Yeah I did tuplet time signatures once as a joke. Never again.

Maybe george just means alternating between 13 and 14?

Melbourne

I've had several heated arguments with people on another forum about odd numbers on the bottom of a time signature. Haha, not gonna get into similar arguments here!

For my track, I've gone for something kinda djenty. I haven't done the vocals yet, but the rhythm is mostly in 5/4 with an occasional beat or half-beat added/subtracted. It's slow enough though that it still kinda sounds like 4/4 sometimes, gah!

St Louis

basically i just set the pattern in fl studio to 14/13 time. then at roughly a third of the way thru the piece switches to 13/14 time with a slower tempo. the piece does havea tuplet feel to it, and i think you are essentially right, vinpous. . as long as fl studio is creating patterns that way.