PA, USA

I am looking at these two products and kind of weighing my options. I am more used to sequencer / piano roll production and I have never been able to grasp tracker composition, but I'm willing to learn. I like the way the UI on sunvox works, after watching a few videos online. Another feature that I am unsure if either have would be the ability to save my work and pick up on my PC later. Any insight into these 2 applications would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

rochester ny

i can't speak much to caustic, but i find the the sunvox UI to be pretty easy on mobile. sunvox also runs on every platform under the sun, so i would imagine moving files around wouldn't be too difficult, but i can't confirm this personally.

rochester ny

also, not sure whether or not you're on iOS, but beatmaker2 is piano roll based and in my opinion the most fully featured iOS DAW available.

PA, USA

Sorry, meant to declare that I am on Android.

Chicago, IL

They are both great.

Caustic would be easier for you to jump right into if you don't have much tracker experience. Watch some of the great videos the developer put out on YouTube. I made last week's track with it, only using the awesome "Modular" machine.

Sunvox is great too.  You can patch up some really complex effects chains and such in the patch panel. And obviously with the tracker interface you can get really detailed with everything.

Both apps have free desktop versions, although Caustic is Windows only. I always keep things on my iPad though, although I can see why people would want to use the computer keyboard with Sunvox.

Any other questions lemme know!

NL

I haven't used it myself, but FL is on Android; by the looks of it it works much like the desktop one.

Chicago, IL

Unfortunately FL Studio Mobile (on Android and iOS) is completely different than the desktop app. Caustic and Sunvox are definitely your best choices.

Psydney

I haven't used FL mobile either, but I read that you can't change or import sounds, wtf

Re SunVox/Caustic, I find former to be more powerful, but the latter behaves pretty much like reason, so if you like to twiddle little on-screen knobs with your little finger, that is the way to go.

If you've never used trackers it can be a bumpy ride, honestly I have yet to see a touchscreen tracker with a good interface. What you can do is use sunvox's on-screen piano keyboard to enter the notes and then just fix the timings by hand. Then go wild with the nodal signal patching!

Riverside, CA
dragnmastr85 wrote:

the ability to save my work and pick up on my PC later

This is probably what I love the most about SunVox. I can assemble a bare project with a bunch of samples on my Linux PC, ftp it to my phone, work on it on the crapper/bus/etc., then ftp it back to my PC when I get home to work on some more. It's nice to have the same experience on my netbook, desktop, backup Windows laptop, Android phone, toaster, etc.

PA, USA
jiffypop23 wrote:
dragnmastr85 wrote:

the ability to save my work and pick up on my PC later

This is probably what I love the most about SunVox. I can assemble a bare project with a bunch of samples on my Linux PC, ftp it to my phone, work on it on the crapper/bus/etc., then ftp it back to my PC when I get home to work on some more. It's nice to have the same experience on my netbook, desktop, backup Windows laptop, Android phone, toaster, etc.

I plan to do the same thing but with automated dropbox syncing. I think Ill try sunvox first and go from there.

Psydney

Both of these apps have a free desktop version (at least for Windows, not sure about osx)

Interestingly enough, my tune for the week is going to be Caustic3 because I was fucked for time and had to make use of the bus rides to and from work.

Portland, OR

FL mobile, at the moment, is more just a sketchpad to be ported to the full version to work on later. you CAN import sounds, but it's kind of tricky.. I'd imagine either they'll develop it more into a full blown production package, or spin off a slightly different product that's meant to be more of a standalone than an accessory.