St Louis

so I often get these crackling and popping sounds in fl studio when doing any track above the most simplest piece. sometimes even then. I suspect there is some kind of weird interference going on with plugins, but it sounds like the glitches you get before you adjust the buffer size. problem being, that this does not help most of the time. any ideas on how to alleviate this? it makes mixing a very frustrating process. could it be just ram issues with the computer from having a browser open with a lot of tabs?

Riverside, CA

My first guess would be to increase the buffer size.
Does it show up in rendered audio?
If so, it's probably from a demo version plugin thing (Poizone, Toxic, etc).
If not, then it's just a system resources thing. Try closing out of other stuff you have open or not using ten Maximus' in each channel smile

Also, LMMS is a free and open source DAW that is similar to FL Studio (even supports VSTs) but is much less of a system hog. You can give it a shot. I actually prefer it to FL now, and I've used FL since 2005.

Saskatchewan, Canada

http://www.asio4all.com/ download and install the asio4all driver. if that doesn't help there could be an irq conflict. I get stutters and pops sometimes when i have my mixer plugged into a certain usb port, if i use a different port it sorts itself out.

Hope one of those will help you.

Last edited by DrumurBoy (July 8, 2012 9:21 pm)

St Louis

it does not show up in rendered audio 95% of the time, but sometimes it does. like I said, I have tried the buffer size thing. not a demo version of anything. it probably is having other things open while I use it, but I think it has showed up even then. thanks guys.

The future

you sure you're not just clipping?

St Louis

absolutely positive it is not that

The future

yeah.. sounds like either jitter to your DAC or just too much cpu usage.. you said upping the buffer size didnt help? are you using asio?

St Louis

yeah, I think that's installed. pretty sure it's just having the browser open, I'll try that (too many damn tabs!). cpu goin crazy prolly.

The future

what kind of sound interface is it? there might be a native ASIO driver for it as well.. ASIO4ALL is good. but if there is one that was written specifically for your device it is usually better

Geneva, NY
george bowles wrote:

yeah, I think that's installed. pretty sure it's just having the browser open, I'll try that (too many damn tabs!). cpu goin crazy prolly.

This.

Riverside, CA

Try setting ASIO4ALL as your audio device instead.
Also what CPU do you have?

St Louis

I just have a laptop that is not top of the line

Riverside, CA

But what CPU does it have?

St Louis

Pentium P6100@2GHz 3 gb ram

Riverside, CA
george bowles wrote:

Pentium P6100@2GHz 3 gb ram

You should be fine with those specs, I've used FL on much less.
I guess just close anything in the background to help free up resources.
If you're using Windows 7 that could also be a part of the problem. Windows 7 is a resource hog.