The future
vinpous wrote:
Poppi wrote:

HMM.....

Hm?

Hymn?

In an irc channel that I (and some other people frequent) there is a bot that will create a name of a genre.
I just tested for three for exactly this purpose.
I liked the idea of "Dark Duckstep" the best of the three

I went to the Easter Show yesterday and hang out with the ducks.

Ducks should be the next theme.

jiffypop23 wrote:
phesago wrote:

Agreed. The first one was cool, but it seems like the 3-4 weeks after it seemed more like a chore to try and keep up with "theme" instead of just cranking out whatever god awful crap I was going to on my own. I mean randomly having a theme might have been cool, but too many weeks in a row kind of killed the flavor.

I like the weekly theme idea. You don't have to participate if you don't want to, I haven't.
But if some people are running low on steam and need some ideas they can just look at what the theme is that week and hopefully that sparks something.

I concur with the last statement. Its purely optional to begin with and I think its great for people that have got a bit of writers block.

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (April 15, 2012 2:13 pm)

jiffypop23 wrote:
phesago wrote:

Agreed. The first one was cool, but it seems like the 3-4 weeks after it seemed more like a chore to try and keep up with "theme" instead of just cranking out whatever god awful crap I was going to on my own. I mean randomly having a theme might have been cool, but too many weeks in a row kind of killed the flavor.

I like the weekly theme idea. You don't have to participate if you don't want to, I haven't.
But if some people are running low on steam and need some ideas they can just look at what the theme is that week and hopefully that sparks something.

I get this, but I was trying to see it from the outsiders perspective of feelign like they had to. Im playing devil's advocate I guess? I have only done it once, and had quite a time doing it, lol

Gosford, Australia

first time i went with a theme was last week cause it was the first theme i liked
i think this week's theme is cool but i might not do it. but i might!

Phil Harmonic wrote:

Hymn?

yo, this or like proper gregorian chant or 4-part SATB harmony would be cool. again, might not do it but whatever trevor!

Poppi wrote:

...for not everyone shares nor appreciates your (so-called) sense of humour.

why do the things that go without saying never do? lol

but in all seriousness, sorry to have offended you. I will *try* and censor myself from now on : )

sacramento

People who leave because themes are stupid, this shit ain't enforced. I don't see the point in complaining about a theme being limited when a theme in itself is limiting. I personally think limitations inspire creativity.

sacramento

that being said, we should do an under the influence week, compose a song under the influence of drugs or alcohol

New Orleans, LA

I started up the whole weekly theme idea as a spring board for writer's block.  It's been mostly fun and it's had people talking about their next weekly beat is going to be, even if it didn't fit with the week's theme.  Participation is optional and if people are really citing this weekly theme bullshit that isn't even run by the administrators of this site as a reason to leave weekly beats, they are either extremely misguided on the purpose of the theme (and weekly beats) or they were looking for an excuse to quit weekly beats.  If you don't feel like participating, don't fucking do it!  Do your own damn thing. 

As for the weekly roundup, that was something Andrew Kilpatrick did for all the tracks and had nothing to do with the theme.  Unless someone posted a theme roundup that I didn't know about.

In conclusion, I'm torn.  Part of me wants to keep these things going because I think they're a fun, harmless idea, but the other part of me just doesn't want to deal with all this bullshit over fucking nothing!

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (April 15, 2012 2:13 pm)

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (April 15, 2012 2:14 pm)

Gnarlysunshine wrote:

In conclusion, I'm torn.  Part of me wants to keep these things going because I think they're a fun, harmless idea, but the other part of me just doesn't want to deal with all this bullshit over fucking nothing!

Keep it going. the nay-sayers can go fuck themselves. content is what makes a website great, and you add to it.

L003, C0rnw4//.
Poppi wrote:
chillmatic wrote:

that being said, we should do an under the influence week, compose a song under the influence of drugs or alcohol

I don't want to advocate for drug taking, but this is a really interesting concept...

drug taking, I AM DRUGS.....(tumble weed)

L003, C0rnw4//.

But in all seriousness, people leaving "due to themes" is like people starving them selves to death "due to poptarts".

I mean honestly, are people that broken in the brain basket...