Philadelphia, PA

Is it getting hard yet? Is it getting easier?!

So, as per tradition, let's reflect on our fourth week of our weekly "beat off". 0_o

I'll start:
Personally, I'm feeling pretty damn good about this last song! Seems to have gotten some good feedback and best of all, I just spent this weekend at the Ohayocon anime convention which has 2 massive raves. I got sooooo many ideas now just from listening to those DJ's do their thang!

Also, I think that I'm finally getting to the point where I'm "discovering myself" electronically. (I'm discovering myself during my weekly beat off?) I'm actually excited about starting a musical routine rather than worrying about falling into one!

How 'bout you?

Last edited by Solarbear (January 30, 2012 3:02 am)

Seattle, WA

I feel the same way. One month of producing songs has improved my skills and workflow so much. Now when I open up my main DAW (FL Studio), it's more about what to make than how to make it, which feels great. Also, exercising with a ton of plugins that used to hurt my brain a lot is now a ton easier.

While my last song for the month wasn't heavy or ridiculous, I felt like it was proof that I got better. Without my previous tracks and experimentation, my fourth track probably wouldn't have existed.

I'm still not sure where my natural flow is electronically, but I think I'm on the right track. Next month I'm going to experiment more and see what happens.

Simi Valley, CA

Even though I've been only doing it a week, it's been pretty easy so far. Because of the way I write and get ideas I usually finish tracks within a few days or less.

Philadelphia

I actually made a 25 minute ambient/noise/dance/whatever jam, but never got to split it into tracks or upload any part of it, so i guess it won't be for weekly beats and i'll work on it some more on the side.

Adelaide SA

I'm scared I'm getting sick of myself and my ideas already. I guess the panic of 11 months to go is a bitttt overwhelming. I've been enjoying a lot of great music on WB, and also :" I'm actually excited about starting a musical routine rather than worrying about falling into one!" is something I kinda agree with, happily.
This will be a great year regardless of how many terrible tracks I upload.
Although, it wont always be this easy to manage time. which is a worry.

adelaide

I feel like I am starting to get warmed up. After all, we have 92.31% left to go.

This will be a great year because of all the terrible tracks I will upload.

I agree that time will become more of an issue as the year progresses.

Melbourne, Australia

I'm having fun trying out new sounds and such. You guys are all really talented so it's always great listening through every week.

adelaide

Yes, every week I have been amazed at the quality of material being squeezed out of the 168 hour block. People are very good at things around here.

Tacoma WA

you are all cheating

Adelaide SA

Your positivity is astounding little-scale.

+1 to infradead , as far as condemning all of the megatalented people on WB.(infradead included)

@ Derris-Kharlan, I completely agree. It's I think been my only achievement so far. Hopefully by the end of the year, I'll get to use the sounds I've been finding around the place in a 'successful' way. 4

Utah

So far this has been a super fun project for me (and hopefully that will continue). It seems it's just the right amount of pressure to spark creativity without being burdensome.

sacramento
OK Ikumi wrote:

So far this has been a super fun project for me (and hopefully that will continue). It seems it's just the right amount of pressure to spark creativity without being burdensome.

this

i feel like i can just fire up my daw and write.

FL
infradead wrote:

you are all cheating

lol. Honestly, lately I haven't been super amped about making tracks for this... It might be because I haven't gotten too many comments, but I don't feel like my tracks deserve them much anyway. (also I haven't had a lot of time to comment on other tracks, so I think it is only fair)

It is likely that I will get hit with the music bug again soon though, and then I will release some higher quality tracks... maybe some longer ones too. Plus if I am able to devote more time to my tacks, I will likely make more time to comment on other tracks as well.

OK Ikumi wrote:

I think that was kind of the aim, a track a week is a nice balance of quality and quantity. My week 4 track was just all over the show but it has a bunch of nice ideas in there. Something might be salvageable!

New York, NY

Im definitely using it to spark new ideas for themed projects, and just hoping they don't suck.
At times it's tough to juggle music, wife and child, but if I can't do what I love, then my personal life will reflect.
Either way, I hope I can continue my progress.

js.

Even though I havent produced anything really awesome yet, I feel as if the weekly challenge is starting to take effect. The past two weeks, I have been able to churn out at least 2 random jams a day. Whether or not theyre any good....who knows? However, the practise is great! Maybe by the end of the year, I'll have something people will love!