I thought this might be useful for some productivity junkies like me

In short, naps are more efficient way to sleep . If you take more naps throughout the day, you won't need to take as much sleep overall. It is hard to adapt during the first two weeks but once you adapt and stay on pattern you won't feel tired and shouldn't have any health issues.

Long term benefits/risks are uknown

Everyman sleep pattern = you take one core sleep and 1-5 naps throughout the day

Uberman pattern = 20-30 minute naps every 4 hours. 3 hours of sleep per day is quite realistic. Getting used to it is the hardest part, only like 1% people pass the adaptation period. Once again, you shouldn't feel tired once you get used to and stay on strict schedule

What is your excuse of not benefiting from this right now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

Philadelphia

Yeah but when you get on this sleep schedule there can be serious health effects, also as soon as you fall asleep you go into REM sleep which isn't very good for you, so after a while the only sleep you get is REM sleep and no light sleep which can't be good either. I believe some of the founding fathers tried this.

Also if you have any kind of day job or time commitments it's no good, because missing a bit of sleep will throw you off entirely, and you can't exactly take half hour naps at work or school, or if you happen to have a badly timed appointment.

I'd love it if this worked but realistically if you need contact with anyone at all on a regular basis it won't really work.

Ottawa, Ontario

my excuse is the fact that i enjoy sleeping for 8-10 hours straight. there's a whole other world inside my dreams.

Adelaide, Australia

I'm definitely biphasic.

Adelaide, Australia

I've always wanted to try the 30 minutes every four hours one, but it's difficult if you ever want to leave the house. tongue

You'd need a very forgiving schedule, and it'd be difficult to go out.

I imagine that if you miss your sleep time, you'd be a lot more tired than perhaps missing a normal nights sleep.

Helsinki, Finland

Only people I know who have tried this are total WOW-creeps or some chan-weirdos.. NekoTheorys post explains why this wouldnt work very well at least for me.

Just get yourself a regular sleep and balls to wake up early.

CA, USA

The short naps approach doesn't work because its incompatible with the natural http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

Your productivity will suffer, also you won't be able to fall asleep against the rhythm in say under an hour.

Another issue possibly overlooked by this technique (or related study) is your memory resets once you fall asleep. If your working on problems with many routines or important facets, or even want to stay in the same "vibe" or frame of reference you loose it and have to spend time to get back into it after sleep.

That said sometimes giving a project time to rest, I like to call it simmering time, can bring you to a better answer.

Anyway my ethos is to try and keep at what ever project of the day your working on be it programming or editing/mixing on a given day, but try not to burn yourself out. If you find you start having 25-26hour days then its time to kind of pull back or let go to try and keep in sync with your body clock.

Leeds
eatmeatleet wrote:

A full time job!

Ottawa, Ontario

"Another issue possibly overlooked by this technique (or related study) is your memory resets once you fall asleep."

Who's to say whether or not ones memory 'resets' when they sleep? You make it sound like a human being is a predictable and basic machine. Who's to say whether or not memories are stored in the subconscious where they can be retrieved?

Adelaide, Australia

I'd be interested in trying a triphasic 6.5hr core + 2x 0.5hr naps. With Uni starting soon though I'd either have to get right on it or just postpone the idea until the end of the year.

eatmeatleet wrote:

Dayjob, "biphasic" friends, enjoyment of daylight, etc. In short, if all I can get is 2-3 extra wake hours, I have much more to lose than gain. Dkstr probably pinpointed the typical polyphasic sleeper.

Chicago
CK wrote:

The short naps approach doesn't work because its incompatible with the natural http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

HEY SMART GUY, WE'RE HUMANS, NOT CIRCADAS

:rimshot:

try 5 hours of sleep sunday through friday night,

then sleep for like 12 saturday night,

works decent for me

04tm34l3 wrote:

try 5 hours of sleep sunday through friday night,

then sleep for like 12 saturday night,

works decent for me

Yeah but I need to get up early on a Sunday to make a start on the track I've not had time to work on all week... after I've done all the other stuff I need to do on a Sunday that is.

AU
Chromacle wrote:

and you can't exactly take half hour naps at work or school

You can, but if you happen to start snoring it can be of detrimental effect!  (we have crash out couches at work - and people can generally hear if I'm having cheeky a nap!)   Man, that Monophasic sleep looks good about now.

The future

dunno. i sometimes take a nap for lunch at work.. no one has ever said anything to me about it.