Sydney, Australia

I did pretty well. I had a burst of motivation early on that resulted in about 6 songs over the beginning of the week. Let's hope I keep it up.

Cincinnati, Ohio

I guess I did well on my first track.  I spent a few hours for a couple days glued to my headphones and bam! When I listen to it I don't really find things I don't like, but at the same time I think I can do better.  Time to make some weird music.  Also, this would be a great thread to do weekly :-D

Also

little-scale wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I had massive hardware issues also - my NES doesn't want to talk to my MIDINES anymore, so I couldn't write a bangin' 4/4 145 BPM 2A03 track. Maybe I'll save that for some other 168 hour period.

DO THAT! smile

St Louis

I found out about this only about 4 hours before the deadline, and luckily I like to record a lot after new year's. my band recorded on new year's day, and then a few days later I recorded a rather minimalist (for me) composition. the band uses lots of layers and I tend to do that in my electronic music as well, so this was a nice change of pace. the recording actually turned out pretty quiet, that was a little bit of a concern. but that allowed some of the background noise of the city outside to emerge (what you hear at the beginning of the track; the guitar drones emerge from the noise floor). turned out pretty cool, just did some edits to remove some noisier parts that didn't go along with the rest of the drones and used the compand vst plugin along with some eqing and threw a little reverb on it, as well as an analog mastering plugin that I like to use. was a pretty simple project for the first week, since it was produced live using two mics and two amps with the guitar placed precariously on top of the smaller amp (vox) and pointed away from the other amp (marshall).

Perth, Australia

so much freaking awesomeness to listen to!

mine pales in comparison to most but it will motivate me to do better...

everyone give yourselves a pat on the back, now touch your junk.

ohh yeah, that's the stuff.

Last edited by Paul Wright (January 9, 2012 10:35 am)

Bloomington, IN

I'm not stressing myself out over having to write a killer track every week.  I'm in for the year-long haul.  What happens, happens.  You have good weeks and bad weeks.  What's going to be cool is listening back on my mastery of the Octatrack over the year.  It's a deep beast.  Sometimes things have to be more complicated until you learn how to make them simpler.

AU
BlondieBrunetti wrote:

Man I didn't really realize this was all so electronic-oriented!

That's the interesting thing - because I think a lot of us do play musical instruments outside of our electronics... but some of us are a little out of practice because we have fallen into the electronic void!!  I restrung my acoustic last week and couldn't even play a bar chord without buzzing where 10 years ago I was playing shows weekly.  So week one (for me) was about delivering something within my safety zone.  As we go I'm sure more and more people will pick up their old beloved instruments.   :-)

Bloomington, IN

I'm the opposite.  I've fallen out of electronic, having gone back to playing bass in my band *ask (askaskask.org).  It feels great to get back into EM.

NSW
cTrix wrote:
Poppi wrote:

I have unresolvable hardware AND software issues, so that's me out (I think the universe is trying to tell me something...).

Oh no!  What happened?  Surely you could use a built in mic or even do something acoustic on a basic recorder or something?  Hope you get something though... I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with :-]

My audio interface, editing software, trackpad and mouse are all fucked. That's right, Fucked.

And I'm poor and couldn't afford to fix these things in time because I just separated from somebody and consequently have two people's rent to pay until I can find new, suitable accommodation. That's right, I'm pissed off. They say "bad things come in threes", in my case it's more like seven or eights.

Time to take out a loan – thank capitalism for banks.

AU
Poppi wrote:

My audio interface, editing software, trackpad and mouse are all fucked. ......  They say "bad things come in threes", in my case it's more like seven or eights.

Wooahhh!  That's quite a combo to all be happening at once.  Double rent is so frustrating - I've been in that situation before and it's exceedingly draining.  Hang in there.

On the positive note we will hopefully be getting a couple of bonus weeks from you at the start of 2013.  Am looking forward to hearing some tunes when you do jump on board :-)

Liverpool, United Kingdom

Quite happy with mine. First song using the Octatrack and it expanded my musical sensibilities a lot, I was very much using my ears to figure out harmonies because it was all sample based. Also, a big step away from what I'm normally writing but I hope for more of this submissions style as well.

Dayton, Ohio

Im happy with my first track, i think a few things still probably need to be touched up but overall im happy with the final result. Im already working on my track for this week yayz!!! I think im going to include some guitar playing over some of electronic stuff soon.Rock music and electronic music have a similar edge to them and they can work nicely together. If you don't believe me listen to radiohead tongue

Last edited by spOOked (January 9, 2012 5:28 pm)

Madison, Alabama
cTrix wrote:
BlondieBrunetti wrote:

Man I didn't really realize this was all so electronic-oriented!

That's the interesting thing - because I think a lot of us do play musical instruments outside of our electronics... but some of us are a little out of practice because we have fallen into the electronic void!!  I restrung my acoustic last week and couldn't even play a bar chord without buzzing where 10 years ago I was playing shows weekly.  So week one (for me) was about delivering something within my safety zone.  As we go I'm sure more and more people will pick up their old beloved instruments.   :-)

There's some non-electronic stuff hidden in there, and people like me who do live instruments with electronics.

And like cTrix said, I'm sure as the year goes on, we'll see more live instrumentation popping up.  I'm looking forward to it!

I also hope all the electronic music doesn't scare off the non-electronic folks. That would be sad. There's some nice diversity tucked in this week's playlist.

Last edited by roboctopus (January 9, 2012 8:32 pm)

Philadelphia, PA

Four positive comments... I'd say I did alright. Although, I did release the song elsewhere a day or two early so.... NOT THIS TIME!!!

Philadelphia, PA
spry wrote:

Also, this would be a great thread to do weekly.

This.

The Wisconsin

I thought my first song kinda sucked. People liked the intro though. That made me happy.

Adelaide, Australia
Poppi wrote:

My audio interface, editing software, trackpad and mouse are all fucked. That's right, Fucked.

And I'm poor and couldn't afford to fix these things in time because I just separated from somebody and consequently have two people's rent to pay until I can find new, suitable accommodation. That's right, I'm pissed off. They say "bad things come in threes", in my case it's more like seven or eights.

Time to take out a loan – thank capitalism for banks.

This makes me combination mad/sad. I hope things are alright for you!