Los Angeles

This is a moved conversation regarding this question:

Poppi wrote:

I don't know where to post this question and I don't think it warrants starting a new thread – can people sign up to participate in WB at any point during the next 52-weeks??

trash80 wrote:

Yes

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (May 11, 2012 6:27 pm)

Philadelphia
Poppi wrote:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose – of sticking to a 52-week challenge??

it's a challenge not a contest, it's up to the individual what the "purpose" is.

NSW

^^^

Los Angeles

It does defeat the purpose if your intention is to compose 52 songs this year and post them to this site. However, if you are a late comer and want to participate starting from that given week I do not see a problem with it, as long as you are contributing to the spirit & idea of the challenge. smile

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (May 11, 2012 6:28 pm)

Los Angeles

To have a weekly deadline to compose and release 1 song per week for 2012. Beyond that it's your call I guess. Do you have something against keeping it open past the first week?

NSW

^^^

Los Angeles

I understand your point and its open for debate. Personally I feel it should be left open because not that many people know about it yet, and if others want to join in it would be a shame if they could not just because they didn't know.

Isn't the point of this people choosing to challenge THEMSELVES? The site IMO just gives them an opportunity to do it with like minded people. If they end up doing 26 songs in six months, because they weren't fortunate enough to find out this was happening as early as we all did, good for them. I personally (and I'm not actively participating so take it with a grain of salt) think that saying you can't sign up because you were late makes the site a little elitist, which kind of goes against the spirit of community that was intended.

NSW

^^^

Sydney, Australia

Who says the project isn't on going?
Just because there's only this year on the calendar doesn't mean it won't roll over.

NSW

^^^

Last edited by popsicle (May 11, 2012 6:28 pm)

Sydney, Australia

nah, it was pointless way before I joined in.

Philadelphia

regardless, there's no point in imposing rules, it's for people to do with it what they will it seems. closing it after the first week just restricts it for no real reason other than to be exclusive. we're not competing so why bother imposing extra rules?

Los Angeles
Poppi wrote:

I think it's a generalisation to assume that everyone who has signed up thus far is "likeminded". This thread (as well as the one on 'freeing one's mind, musically') has already proven that this is in fact, not the case...and so I don't get your point there, sorry.

As far as perceived "elitism" (or exclusivity) goes, I'd agree with you if the project wasn't time limited, i.e. was ongoing. But it is, so I don't. Again, sorry.

FYI: the code was written to not just be this year if we wanted to continue. Also the about text for the site is probably a little over-generalized to get the idea across. This is one of the reasons the site is called WeeklyBeats and not 52songs52weeks or something that would pidgin-hole the concept.

Again, I see no problem with keeping the site open for anyone to join in. If you have a specific counter-argument you'd like to make I would love to hear it. As far as you and CK ('freeing one's mind, musically' thread) are concerned, I see no issue in a healthy debate, so lets keep it that way. smile