Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Edmund Snyder's music / My Way Back to You

My Way Back to You

By Edmund Snyder on January 10, 2016 3:34 am

Several tracks with the Washburn acoustic, a track with the Rogue bass, a couple vocal tracks, a track with my new Akai Professional Max 49, and drums courtesy of Addictive Drums, and the first week is in the bag! Presonus Studio One 3 DAW with only native plugins besides AD on this one.

I've been working on my fingerstyle playing and used it a bit in this one.

Only 51 more to go.



----------------------------------------------------------------

It seems you changed the lock on the door
Just in the time that I drove to the store
Now I can't find my way back to you
I guess I knew something was up
You didn't see but I saw when you spit in my cup
Now I can't find my way back to you

So much time spent away
It used to seem nothing could stand in our way
Now it's the end of the day
I didn't have a car or money for gas
But I'd hop on my bike and I'd pedal my ass off
Just for a moment or two
with you
But now that's all gone
And I can't find my way back to you.

Maybe I feel like something's gone wrong
We've never stopped talking or feeling for so long
And I can't find my way back to you
Sometimes I wonder if things can be fixed
'though I know we're both tired of each other's tricks
So I can't find my way back to you

So much time spent away
It used to seem nothing could stand in our way
Now it's the end of the day
I didn't have a car or money for gas
But I'd hop on my bike and I'd pedal my ass off
Just for a moment or two
with you
But now that's all gone
And I can't find my way back to you.

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
January 11, 2016 4:01 am

Good job!

January 11, 2016 9:14 am

Hi, Edmund. Really glad to hear your stuff another year!

Powerful lyrics and good hooks. If I may, I'd suggest to lower those hihats a little bit and put the snaredrum a little bit more on the side. Also, if you accept this producer's advice, when you use chorus or distortion in a voice, keep a copy of the original and place it together with the FX voice, either via send track or by using two copies of the track. That way you get all the presence of the original voice but with the character of the FX used. Voices are tricky to mix and anything that alters it catches the ear pretty quickly.

As always, my 2 cents. Cheers!

January 11, 2016 1:28 pm

dude nice garage-y sound. i think one of my favorite moments is the very beginning with the mmmmm's -- i'm always hesitant about humming but you're just doing it. the whole track is nicely in your face. i don't have great speakers right now so i can't comment on the mix too much but i like the raw, noisy feel.

January 11, 2016 4:36 pm

Not my style, but I can feel the sincerity and commitment. I second laguna's recommendations.

January 11, 2016 6:38 pm
orangedrink wrote:

Good job!

Thank you.

laguna wrote:

Hi, Edmund. Really glad to hear your stuff another year!

Powerful lyrics and good hooks. If I may, I'd suggest to lower those hihats a little bit and put the snaredrum a little bit more on the side. Also, if you accept this producer's advice, when you use chorus or distortion in a voice, keep a copy of the original and place it together with the FX voice, either via send track or by using two copies of the track. That way you get all the presence of the original voice but with the character of the FX used. Voices are tricky to mix and anything that alters it catches the ear pretty quickly.

As always, my 2 cents. Cheers!

Thanks, I always appreciate your advice.  I've attempted the recommended changes and uploaded to https://www.reverbnation.com/edmundsnyder/song/25074704-my-way-back-to-you


colorful grey wrote:

dude nice garage-y sound. i think one of my favorite moments is the very beginning with the mmmmm's -- i'm always hesitant about humming but you're just doing it. the whole track is nicely in your face. i don't have great speakers right now so i can't comment on the mix too much but i like the raw, noisy feel.

Appreciated.  I usually just do whatever's in my head (if I have the ability). I wasn't sure about the humming and thought about taking it out, but decided to keep it anyway.  I took some of Laguna's advice on my Reverbnation version and hope it didn't remove any of the "in your face" that you mention.



Jim Wood wrote:

Not my style, but I can feel the sincerity and commitment. I second laguna's recommendations.

Thanks Jim.  I often feel like a fish out of water at WB most of the time since I don't understand half of the things everyone else does with fancy computers and whatnot. I have guitars and a keyboard as well as a violin and a mandolin and I'm not quite a pro on any of them--although the guitar and bass or probably my strengths.  The Studio One 3 DAW can do a bunch of stuff that I don't even really know what it does so I watch Youtube videos and experiment when I can--one of the things I love about WB is that it drives me out of my comfort zone.

I like most everyone else's creations anyway and it has helped expand my horizons a a bit listening to all the talent and taking advice from guys like you and Laguna on how to improve my recording and mixing.

January 11, 2016 9:21 pm
Edmund Snyder wrote:


Thanks, I always appreciate your advice.  I've attempted the recommended changes and uploaded to https://www.reverbnation.com/edmundsnyder/song/25074704-my-way-back-to-you

I've just checked it. It has improved IMHO from the earlier version. Thing is that now that you gained clarity in the voice department, the drums feel a little bit muffled (they're not, in fact, they're a little overcompressed in the mid-highs).

My advice, Edmund, is that yor leave the track for a while because mixing YOUR OWN VOICE is really difficult, since it often feels weird to give it that strong presence. Try to apply the same technique in your next track and THEN go back to this one, so you could hear the difference. I've always struggled with many singers because they always mix it too low (I guess you need some outside ears).

I think the track has a lot of energy and I'd fear to loose all the urgency in it. Overall you've improved your skills a lot since the beginning of WB'14. My sugestions over your mixes, in general are:

- You need more low end (and don't forget not to believe us too much, since most of us here in WB do beat-oriented music, so our low frequencies standards could sound insane translated to pop). Now your mix is too crowded in the middle-freq area, so one instrument in competing with the other. Once you open your spectrum you'll need proper EQ.

- Generally you put the voice in the center, always, and the effects spread in the stereo field. Since you use chorus and there's not enough "clean voice" in the middle, it gives that "hollow" feel.

- If you pan something to the left or right (e.g. guitars) remember it will shine more in the mix, so keep it at a lower lever.

I could recommend you 2 tracks I've got it mind for this one, althought they're not exactly the same style: Lenny Kravitz's "Believe" and Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy man". They both featured heavily processed voice with a pop-rock feel, and the instruments are really well balanced. I'd recommend a really close listening. Try to picture the level of each instrument and its position in the stereo field. Start with no effect whatsoever until you've got the closest balance, and then add the rest. by the way, chorus effect is trickier that it seems, so start slowly.

As always, you've got the final word. Hope this tips could be useful to you.

Cheers, mate!

January 11, 2016 10:48 pm

January 12, 2016 2:50 am

What a tune! I can totally empathize with these lyrics.. very raw yet quite vivid.

January 12, 2016 8:18 am

yes indeed.  i see where you're going and like it

January 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Love this, like grizzly bear with some great rough edges. Clearly i didn't check out enough of your stuff last time around...

January 24, 2016 1:02 am
Lyons wrote:

What a tune! I can totally empathize with these lyrics.. very raw yet quite vivid.

paul raygun wrote:

yes indeed.  i see where you're going and like it

Thank you, gentlemen.


sinewave wrote:

Love this, like grizzly bear with some great rough edges. Clearly i didn't check out enough of your stuff last time around...

Some weeks, that was probably a lucky break for you. tongue  Seriously, I have learned a lot from other people at WB (and still am learning a lot).

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up