Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Half-Life Serenade

Half-Life Serenade

By CosmicCairns on October 13, 2016 6:51 pm

I had a dream in which I was sitting across a table from my friend Bobby.  He pulled out a guitar and said "Pay attention, this is important," and proceeded to play a fully-formed song.  I woke up in the middle of the night still able to hear the song but realized it was quickly fading.  I stumbled to my phone and hummed what I could remember of the words and the melody into it and then went back to bed.  I couldn't remember everything so I created the dream-like outro as sort of a salute to the parts of the song that were lost.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

October 17, 2016 1:56 am

Good impetus from Dream Bobby, and an excellent coda for the "missing" parts.

October 17, 2016 3:05 am

Nice dream.

October 17, 2016 9:01 am

...This means something... this is important!... So cool man, I hear original songs in my dreams as well, and it is soooo hard to capture them... you did very well! I have many a snippet of a dream song here and there on my computer... one day should make a dream album... that would be rad!

October 17, 2016 10:27 am

beautiful story behind another important daydream song of yours.

October 17, 2016 9:20 pm

Every time i listen to one of your Songs I get in a good mood!

October 18, 2016 4:35 am
Jim Wood wrote:

Good impetus from Dream Bobby, and an excellent coda for the "missing" parts.

Thanks!  It did feel like quite a gift from the ether.  I wrote the waking world version a quick note to thank him.

Edmund Snyder wrote:

Nice dream.

It actually was!

Podling wrote:

Yeah, I also have a few snippets here and there of stuff I dreamed, but usually I can't remember more than a little bit.  I think maybe because I was told to pay attention I remembered a little more.  And definitely because I got up and hummed it into a recorder.

Even worse I often seem to hear these amazing pieces of music right as I'm drifting off to sleep.  I can never remember those suckers at all.  Dream music is tricky!

Q-Rosh wrote:

beautiful story behind another important daydream song of yours.

Thanks!  Not all of my songs have particularly interesting stories behind them, but once in awhile they do.

theGuen wrote:

Every time i listen to one of your Songs I get in a good mood!

Hey thanks!  It's super cool to hear I'm spreading some good vibes.

October 18, 2016 7:28 pm

That's a cool story.

Dreams are basically your brain doing a defrag, doing some random rewiring and sorting things out. Sometimes a connection gets made between two neurons that can unintentionally generate a spark of inspiration (that's why dreams are always so surreal in retrospect). Sometimes real life is more mysterious than what you can imagine; kinda like how space in reality is really, really weird and freaky and much weirder than sci-fi would have you believe.

October 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Very nice song, so cool it came to you in dream. Love that outro too, like drifting back into the ether. All good things come in dreams perhaps. I want to go to sleep now with hopes of a dream song. That's my goal for tonight for sure!!

October 20, 2016 12:25 am
Devieus wrote:

That's a cool story.

Dreams are certainly awesome.  Sometimes they're too surreal to take any useful inspiration from but every once in awhile they gift you with something worthwhile.

miraclemiles wrote:

Good luck!  I hope something awesome comes to you.

October 21, 2016 4:51 pm

October 22, 2016 1:53 am
Ipaghost wrote:

If only I could wake up to a drum set in bed.  I could wake up and start making rad beats all the freaking time!  I don't know if that would fly with the old ball and chain though.

October 23, 2016 12:00 pm

A more immediately musically useful dream than I usually have. Great backstory to a great song.

October 23, 2016 9:54 pm
Plantrain wrote:

Yeah it's honestly rare that I have any kind of musically useful dreams, so I had to jump on this one when it came along.