Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Half-Life Serenade

Half-Life Serenade

By CosmicCairns on October 13, 2016 6:51 pm

I had a dream in which I was sitting across a table from my friend Bobby.  He pulled out a guitar and said "Pay attention, this is important," and proceeded to play a fully-formed song.  I woke up in the middle of the night still able to hear the song but realized it was quickly fading.  I stumbled to my phone and hummed what I could remember of the words and the melody into it and then went back to bed.  I couldn't remember everything so I created the dream-like outro as sort of a salute to the parts of the song that were lost.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
October 17, 2016 1:56 am

Good impetus from Dream Bobby, and an excellent coda for the "missing" parts.

October 17, 2016 3:05 am

Nice dream.

October 17, 2016 9:01 am

...This means something... this is important!... So cool man, I hear original songs in my dreams as well, and it is soooo hard to capture them... you did very well! I have many a snippet of a dream song here and there on my computer... one day should make a dream album... that would be rad!

October 17, 2016 10:27 am

beautiful story behind another important daydream song of yours.

October 17, 2016 9:20 pm

Every time i listen to one of your Songs I get in a good mood!

October 18, 2016 4:35 am
Jim Wood wrote:

Good impetus from Dream Bobby, and an excellent coda for the "missing" parts.

Thanks!  It did feel like quite a gift from the ether.  I wrote the waking world version a quick note to thank him.



Edmund Snyder wrote:

Nice dream.

  It actually was!



Podling wrote:

...This means something... this is important!... So cool man, I hear original songs in my dreams as well, and it is soooo hard to capture them... you did very well! I have many a snippet of a dream song here and there on my computer... one day should make a dream album... that would be rad!

  Yeah, I also have a few snippets here and there of stuff I dreamed, but usually I can't remember more than a little bit.  I think maybe because I was told to pay attention I remembered a little more.  And definitely because I got up and hummed it into a recorder. 

Even worse I often seem to hear these amazing pieces of music right as I'm drifting off to sleep.  I can never remember those suckers at all.  Dream music is tricky!



Q-Rosh wrote:

beautiful story behind another important daydream song of yours.

  Thanks!  Not all of my songs have particularly interesting stories behind them, but once in awhile they do.



theGuen wrote:

Every time i listen to one of your Songs I get in a good mood!

  Hey thanks!  It's super cool to hear I'm spreading some good vibes.

October 18, 2016 7:28 pm

That's a cool story.

Dreams are basically your brain doing a defrag, doing some random rewiring and sorting things out. Sometimes a connection gets made between two neurons that can unintentionally generate a spark of inspiration (that's why dreams are always so surreal in retrospect). Sometimes real life is more mysterious than what you can imagine; kinda like how space in reality is really, really weird and freaky and much weirder than sci-fi would have you believe.

October 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Very nice song, so cool it came to you in dream. Love that outro too, like drifting back into the ether. All good things come in dreams perhaps. I want to go to sleep now with hopes of a dream song. That's my goal for tonight for sure!!

October 20, 2016 12:25 am
Devieus wrote:

That's a cool story.

Dreams are basically your brain doing a defrag, doing some random rewiring and sorting things out. Sometimes a connection gets made between two neurons that can unintentionally generate a spark of inspiration (that's why dreams are always so surreal in retrospect). Sometimes real life is more mysterious than what you can imagine; kinda like how space in reality is really, really weird and freaky and much weirder than sci-fi would have you believe.


Dreams are certainly awesome.  Sometimes they're too surreal to take any useful inspiration from but every once in awhile they gift you with something worthwhile.


miraclemiles wrote:

Very nice song, so cool it came to you in dream. Love that outro too, like drifting back into the ether. All good things come in dreams perhaps. I want to go to sleep now with hopes of a dream song. That's my goal for tonight for sure!!

.
Good luck!  I hope something awesome comes to you.

October 21, 2016 4:51 pm

October 22, 2016 1:53 am
Ipaghost wrote:

  If only I could wake up to a drum set in bed.  I could wake up and start making rad beats all the freaking time!  I don't know if that would fly with the old ball and chain though.

October 23, 2016 12:00 pm

A more immediately musically useful dream than I usually have. Great backstory to a great song.

October 23, 2016 9:54 pm
Plantrain wrote:

A more immediately musically useful dream than I usually have. Great backstory to a great song.

Yeah it's honestly rare that I have any kind of musically useful dreams, so I had to jump on this one when it came along.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up