Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Ghost Town

By CosmicCairns on June 28, 2016 11:19 pm

I went for an instrumental this week. Watch out for the tumbleweeds.

During the course of recording this my cello suffered a little accident in which the bridge suddenly popped out of place and the whole string mechanism kind of collapsed.  I was able to fix it and carry on, but since I managed to catch the incident on tape and since there's no way I would ever intentionally try to recreate that particular sound, I figured I may as well make use of it and thus the noise at the very beginning of the song was created.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
July 4, 2016 9:09 am

cool track.  in some parts i get a neutral milk hotel vibe.

July 4, 2016 6:51 pm
paul raygun wrote:

cool track.  in some parts i get a neutral milk hotel vibe.

  Thanks.  I can see the Neutral Milk Hotel comparison.  The acoustic guitar and musical saw alone add to that, I'm sure.

July 4, 2016 8:03 pm

I LOVE  THIS. Needs to be in a Tarantino film.

July 4, 2016 9:21 pm

I can see the tumbleweeds now…

Not quite as bad as my cello accident. I was just thinking I should probably get some kind of humidifier when I heard my soundboard split with a sound like a pistol shot; too bad I wasn't recording at the time. ::)

July 5, 2016 1:42 am

oh yeah! well done, E!

July 5, 2016 3:12 pm

This is really beautiful - Do I hear some Simon And Garfunkel song in there somewhere?.
I love how it starts off normal and becomes a bit weird (in a good way). I think aswell that it should be in a Tarantino movie!

July 5, 2016 4:10 pm

Awesome! Love the instrumentation, especially the kitchen percussion.  Def could see this in a Tarantino-like film smile Sorry to hear about your cello, but at least you got one suhweet sample out of it. I can see that in an ableton pack for sure wink  Nice work!

July 5, 2016 7:01 pm

July 5, 2016 11:17 pm
brian botkiller wrote:

I LOVE  THIS. Needs to be in a Tarantino film.

  Thanks!  Yeah, I could certainly see this soundtracking a Tarantino film.



Jim Wood wrote:

I can see the tumbleweeds now…

Not quite as bad as my cello accident. I was just thinking I should probably get some kind of humidifier when I heard my soundboard split with a sound like a pistol shot; too bad I wasn't recording at the time. ::)

  Yowza.  That sounds like a bad accident.  Thankfully this one wasn't too bad.  It surprised the hell out of me when it happened though.



cfurrow wrote:

oh yeah! well done, E!

  Thanks!



dj someguy wrote:

This is really beautiful - Do I hear some Simon And Garfunkel song in there somewhere?.
I love how it starts off normal and becomes a bit weird (in a good way). I think aswell that it should be in a Tarantino movie!

  My girlfriend said it sounded like a cross between Ennio Morricone and Simon and Garfunkel.  I think one part of the melody is a little bit reminiscent of Scarborough Fair.



Tone Matrix wrote:

Awesome! Love the instrumentation, especially the kitchen percussion.  Def could see this in a Tarantino-like film smile Sorry to hear about your cello, but at least you got one suhweet sample out of it. I can see that in an ableton pack for sure wink  Nice work!

  Thanks!  The good news is the cello is okay.  No permanent damage, but a good sample indeed.



Ipaghost wrote:


That is right on. 

July 6, 2016 7:56 pm

Absolute Lovely!

July 6, 2016 10:41 pm
m2K7 wrote:

Absolute Lovely!

  Thanks for listening!

July 7, 2016 4:44 pm
brian botkiller wrote:

I LOVE  THIS. Needs to be in a Tarantino film.


AGREED

This is definitely my favorite track of yours!  Incredible and  E P I C

downloaded and favorited!

July 7, 2016 6:25 pm
orangedrink wrote:
brian botkiller wrote:

I LOVE  THIS. Needs to be in a Tarantino film.


AGREED

This is definitely my favorite track of yours!  Incredible and  E P I C

downloaded and favorited!

  Aw, gee, thanks!  That's really nice to hear.

July 7, 2016 11:45 pm

we three kings of orient are, trying to smoke a rubber cigar big_smile

July 8, 2016 1:55 am
Phil Harmonic wrote:

we three kings of orient are, trying to smoke a rubber cigar big_smile

Would that be the same cigar that exploded and sent them off to yonder star?

July 11, 2016 5:29 am

Scarborough Fair isn't really a Simon and Garfunkel song anyway. Although they recorded the best known version.

July 11, 2016 8:56 pm
Edmund Snyder wrote:

Scarborough Fair isn't really a Simon and Garfunkel song anyway. Although they recorded the best known version.

  This is true.  Perhaps it would be more accurate to say it's a cross between Ennio Morricone and Traditional.  smile

July 12, 2016 7:09 am

Old England meets the wild west, brilliant track! Excellent choice of instrumentation.

July 12, 2016 7:27 pm
Plantrain wrote:

Old England meets the wild west, brilliant track! Excellent choice of instrumentation.

Thanks!  Much appreciated.

July 31, 2016 4:48 am

kudos!

July 31, 2016 9:07 am
george bowles wrote:

kudos!

  Oh, hey thanks!  Man, I especially dig the comments on tracks that are a couple weeks old.  There's not enough of those.  I think all of us could probably do a little more WeeklyBeats digging.

August 2, 2016 3:49 am
CosmicCairns wrote:
george bowles wrote:

kudos!

  Oh, hey thanks!  Man, I especially dig the comments on tracks that are a couple weeks old.  There's not enough of those.  I think all of us could probably do a little more WeeklyBeats digging.

i at least attempt to listen to every track, i got behind over the past 3 weeks or so, got caught up yesterday right before another downpour of musical bliss! now to get caught up again! aaaaaaaaaaaaa

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up