Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Christian Grey's music / Primum Fundamentum (MIDI mix)

Primum Fundamentum (MIDI mix)

By Christian Grey on January 16, 2016 3:08 am

So this is not an original song. But I figure since it was apparently composed by Phalese in 1545, copyright is not an issue. I hope it won't be taken down.

This is basically an old lute exercise. It's certainly not a great rendition in the technical sense (in other words, my playing is not very good), and it's rather boring from a musical standpoint. But I am trying to use the lute in a modern context, and this is an experiment along the way. Basically, you hear the same recording twice. First, the unprocessed track (well, a slight reverb). Then, the Logic Pro X-Flex Pitch'ed lute track (including some nice jittery artifacts) and three Audio-to-MIDI-tracks. One unison saw synth, one unison bass sample (switching octaves at times), and one saw synth pitched up a fifth.

Again, not necessarily pretty, but an interesting test to me. I'll see if I can use this technology further. What I'm most interested in (and what worked quite well here) is the syncing of MIDI to the acoustic instrument, including crescendo etc.

January 18, 2016 12:37 am

Glad to see you messing with production techniques this week, Christian. Schön lute smile

Logic's saw sounds quite solid in the mix, and musically brings some kind of seventies experimental vibe to it.

Curious what you could do with the lute and some harmonizers. Please keep experimenting smile

January 18, 2016 1:59 am

Scales for lute? What you did with it is damn fine -- you synced the MIDI to the lute rather than quantising the lute? Impressed I am.

January 18, 2016 2:34 am

Wow, that was really could how you synced them up.  I am also impressed!

UPDATE: Just got a text from Phalese, he's pissed that you ripped off his "dope beat"!!!  wink

January 18, 2016 11:32 am

Brought out the lute early this year! Great process, is the lute music in tablature or early notation?

January 18, 2016 4:41 pm

great stuff! i'd be interested also in seeing some of this lute notation!  some of this reminded me of a lofi elo...

January 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Very interesting experiment, keep it up!

January 18, 2016 7:58 pm
orangedrink wrote:

...

Haha!

Very nice sound, Grey.

January 18, 2016 8:33 pm
orangedrink wrote:

Wow, that was really could how you synced them up.  I am also impressed!

Yeah I actually had a brief moment of panic when you posted that... well played!

January 18, 2016 11:38 pm
Lyons wrote:

Yeah well I only bought my first lute halfway through the 2014 process but now I have it!!

home taping association wrote:

OK here is a link to the lute notation...

January 18, 2016 11:39 pm
laguna wrote:

Jim Wood wrote:

Edmund Snyder wrote:
orangedrink wrote:

...

Haha!

Very nice sound, Grey.

donnyjankowski wrote:

Very interesting experiment, keep it up!

thank you! i'm definitely going to continue this process... WB does help with it.

January 19, 2016 9:28 am

Very pretty. It reminds me of John Cage's "Dream" (in A Aeolian).

January 22, 2016 6:55 pm