Facebook Twitter Music RSS

o du stille zeit

By Christian Grey on February 28, 2016 3:54 am

german folk song, first just the melody, then harmonized, then just some chords derived from the arrangement. clearly not a technical feat, but for me, a venture into harmonizing on the lute. i don't know what chords these are, they are just tablature-based. next step would be to transcribe into staff notation. all one take, no overdubs.

February 29, 2016 12:14 am

That you can read from a stave for your lute puts you a huge step ahead of me and my guitar.  Only staffs I can read are tuba/sousaphone with a bass clef and even them I'm sure I'd be very rusty.

I still can't get over the perfect tone you manage in recording your instrument.  And the harmonies sound fantastic.

February 29, 2016 2:04 am

I absolutely love this! Please keep it up (notation or no).

February 29, 2016 5:13 pm

February 29, 2016 7:53 pm

February 29, 2016 11:26 pm

So peaceful, Christian! it's amazing how you get such a full sound with those tiny compositions. Some moments are really amazing and full of ambience.

I hope we could work something out this week. I have an idea I think you could like it. Hope to send you a sketch in a couple of days smile

March 1, 2016 12:26 am

Very, very pretty. Lovely to hear folk music. True folk music.

March 1, 2016 3:22 am
Edmund Snyder wrote:

Thank you. I had to look up sousaphone. That looks interesting... The staff thing is a different way of composing, I think, it's like trying a 500-year-old DAW. Not better than Live or Logic, just a different approach.

March 1, 2016 3:24 am
Jim Wood wrote:

I absolutely love this! Please keep it up (notation or no).

Thank you Sir! Will do!

vinpous wrote:

Very, very pretty. Lovely to hear folk music. True folk music.

Appreciate it.

Ipaghost wrote:

orangedrink wrote:

Thank you guys!
It's funny because I actually didn't think of this arrangement as peaceful. I thought the harmonies were quite dissonant. But the more I listened to it, the less dissonant it becomes :-)

March 1, 2016 3:26 am
laguna wrote:

Yeah, I'm game! Glad you liked this one... it is a very small composition, indeed, but if all you have is that lute and a piece of paper, it's like you shrink and delve in there. Well you know what I mean, when you restrict yourself to vintage drum machines 'n such.

March 2, 2016 4:36 am

Your lute playing is awesome! I felt like I was in a quiet park smile

March 2, 2016 2:14 pm

Wow, this instrument has some really amazing overtones! Those ringing harmonics are extremely beautiful. Great harmonisation! I got chills in the final chords!

If your licensing for this song allowed derivative works, I would chop it all up for my next week submission. wink

March 2, 2016 8:22 pm

I really enjoyed this one smile.

March 3, 2016 9:52 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

Your lute playing is awesome! I felt like I was in a quiet park smile

Diagamblic wrote:

I really enjoyed this one smile.

Thank you guys!!

matheusleston wrote:

I say have your way with it!

March 5, 2016 6:24 pm

beautiful and touching. thanks for sharing.

March 5, 2016 7:21 pm
colorful grey wrote:

matheusleston wrote:

I say have your way with it!

Great! I will \o/ wink

March 9, 2016 7:48 pm

This is a gentle masterpiece. Hmmm.