Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Christian Grey's music / Christ Ist Erstanden (16th century hymn)

Christ Ist Erstanden (16th century hymn)

By Christian Grey on January 24, 2016 3:30 am

by Hans Judenk√ľnig, sometime before 1546 because he died that year.

So this is me, wrestling with an instrument.

I recorded this on Saturday evening and needed 26 takes. I'm still not happy with it, but it's as good as I can play it right now. Of course it's tempting to look at the tracks in Logic and think, I could cut something together, but since that would defeat the purpose, I didn't do that.

On the other hand, it was very interesting to practice and record this simple piece. I definitely learned a lot, not the least during the awkward recording phase (hit space... hit delete... hit return...)

This was actually the piece that turned me on to the lute in 2014.

January 25, 2016 12:08 am

I really enjoy the rich sound you get from your lute.  Even if you don't think you play it perfectly, you do a spectacular job recording it.

January 25, 2016 12:13 am

This is very pretty. nice work!

January 25, 2016 1:49 am

I really love this kind of repertoire.

Of interest to you perhaps, the violinist in my piece this week also specialises in baroque music - and playing it how it was meant to be played rather than the romantic ideal we impose upon it.

January 25, 2016 11:16 am
Edmund Snyder wrote:

Certainly, You always got that perfect mic technique with lots of expressivity, without any noticeable noise.

I'm sure after 26 takes I'll have the first bar done... well, almost smile

Nice simple piece. Your acoustic recordings come with lots of presence. WOuld it be lovely to see your recording rig smile

Have a good week, Christian!

January 25, 2016 10:01 pm

So... what microphone are you using? I like the sound, fits very well to the theme.

January 26, 2016 12:03 am

Was this recorded on a Fender?

January 26, 2016 1:45 pm
Edmund Snyder wrote:

laguna wrote:
Edmund Snyder wrote:

I'm sure after 26 takes I'll have the first bar done... well, almost smile

Have a good week, Christian!

Kleie wrote:

Ipaghost wrote:

Was this recorded on a Fender?

Thank you all very much for your kind words. I'm afraid it's a very low-tech recording. The lute is a Larry Brown (North Carolina), and I use Kleie's old AKG C-3000 mic (remember you brought it with you when you came to Baltimore I think?). That goes into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, then into Logic, and all I added was the default program of the Space Designer.

Gee, ipaghost, you are the God of GIFs! Where did you find that??

January 26, 2016 1:47 pm
vinpous wrote:

I really love this kind of repertoire.

Awesome, I will definitely listen to it. BTW your festival sounds awesome. Do a tour. Come to Ohio :-)

January 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Lute are for cahoots!!! Going to look into the original and see whats up!

January 26, 2016 6:21 pm
colorful grey wrote:

Gee, ipaghost, you are the God of GIFs! Where did you find that??

On the world wide web disk

January 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Ipaghost wrote:
colorful grey wrote:

Gee, ipaghost, you are the God of GIFs! Where did you find that??

On the world wide web disk

January 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Beautiful piece and playing, and I totally admire your approach to doing these in unedited takes. Bravo!

January 28, 2016 3:49 am

This is so beautiful.  I don't know what you're looking for in your takes, but I feel like any "variances" are really adding to the realness and authenticity of the lute.  I'm into it!

January 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Lovely sound. Its really nice to come across this kind of thing on weekly beats! Keen for next week smile

January 28, 2016 1:04 pm
onezero wrote:

Thank you onezero!

orangedrink wrote:

Thank you! You bring up a good point -- for me, I realized that I looking for different things in this kind of music. It's clearly not about a fat bass or even to come up with a catchy melody -- and then i'm wondering about such variables as dynamics, clearly bringing out the two voices, or phrasing. Stuff I usually don't think about, so that's refreshing. And challenging.

Simon Koehn wrote:

Thank you, glad you enjoyed!

January 29, 2016 9:10 pm

very nice

February 3, 2016 5:52 pm

A really calming piece.  Nice work!

March 6, 2016 9:52 am

It was a bit short but I enjoyed it. I don't play any instruments so I can only imagine how hard it is to capture a recording in one take. Considering that, I don't think it was that short really.